The Spanish Colonial Arts Society collects, preserves, and exhibits the Spanish Colonial art of New Mexico and beyond, and educates the public about its related cultures and living traditions.
750 Camino Lejo
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Situated on Museum Hill overlooking Santa Fe.
The Museum has been created by Santa Fe’s Spanish Colonial Arts Society and is entrusted with the Society’s world-renowned collections.
Jane Bradley, Interim Executive Director
Mark Rhodes, Esq., President of the Board of Directors
Brian Colon, Vice President of the Board of Directors
The Museum is housed in a renovated and expanded building designed in 1930 by John Gaw Meem, a leading figure in the development of New Mexico’s Spanish Colonial/Pueblo Revival architecture. Originally used as the residence of the Laboratory of Anthropology’s director, the building features a multitude of handmade, historically accurate appointments, which range from the ironwork on the doors to the carved decoration of the ceiling beams. The Museum is the only Meem building in Santa Fe that has retained its original integrity.
Total Museum area: 12,000 square feet
Exhibition space: 3,400 square feet
Stockman Collections Center: 6,400 square feet
Partner-in-Charge: Eric Enfield
Project Architect: Martin Kuziel
Davis and Associates
Principal: Robert Watson
Project Manager: George Garduño
The 3,800 objects in the collections include devotional and decorative works and utilitarian artifacts, representing an artistic heritage of five centuries and four continents. The collections are unique in their global range; their representation of daily life in the colonial world; their historic importance as a repository of key research objects; and their incorporation of works by present-day Hispano artists of New Mexico.
The collections are rich in retablos (religious paintings on wood), bultos (freestanding religious sculptures), furniture, textiles, fine metalwork, tinwork, straw appliqué, utilitarian objects (tools, weapons, cattle brands, spurs, strike-a-lights, candlesticks, tobacco flasks), objects of personal adornment (crucifixes and rosaries, necklaces, hair combs, fans) and colonial architecture.
These objects originated in New Mexico, Spain, Mexico, Argentina, Guatemala, Peru, Colombia, Ecuador, Brazil, the Caribbean, the Philippines, Goa, and New Mexico, the northernmost colony of Spain. Objects from France, Italy, Greece, Russia, Romania, Bulgaria, Morocco, China and Tibet also play a role in the collections as points of comparison for Spanish colonial art throughout the Americas.
The Beltrán-Kropp Art Collection from Peru
June 22, 2013- May 27, 2014
The Spanish Colonial Arts Society announces the largest permanent gift of Peruvian art in its 88-year history. An exhibition of the gift items will open to the public June 22, 2013. The exhibition will include a permanent gift of 40 objects from Peru, as well as a number of objects from other countries collected by Pedro Gerardo Beltrán Espantoso, Peru’s Ambassador to the United States (1944-45) and Prime Minister of Peru (1959-1961), and his wife, Miriam Kropp Beltrán.
Additional exhibits are shown in other gallery spaces. To view a calendar of current exhibits, click here.
Robin Farwell Gavin, Chief Curator
William Field, Installation Designer
Center Housing 3800 objects from the collections, a 1,000- volume library, a conservation laboratory, a conference area and collections-management offices, the Center is a major international resource for research and education in Spanish colonial art. In addition to serving scholars and artists, the Center will provide the public with access to study collections through docent-led tours.
The Museum is open 10:00 am to 5:00 pm, Tuesday through Sunday (Closed Mondays), from Labor Day to Memorial Day (open seven days from Memorial Day to Labor Day). For information on visiting, the public may call 505-982-2226 or visit the Museum’s web site: www.spanishcolonial.org